Thursday, December 20, 2007

Thirty

Two pretty cool things happened in the last 24 hours:

1) I completed a 30-minute run;
2) I passed the 30-pound mark in weight loss.

With any luck -- and with Christmas approaching, I'll probably need some -- I'll be under 270 by the end of this year. That would be an incredible Christmas present to myself.

I mentioned I wanted to start swimming over the Christmas holidays. One thing I definitely will start again is weight training. I bought a pair of PowerBlock dumbbell sets a few months ago so that I wouldn't need to rely on the gym for any strength training I wanted to do, but haven't used them nearly enough. When I started my latest weight-loss regimen, I promised myself that when I got down to 270, I'd start lifting weights again to firm things up. Looks like that time is here.

The only problem I'm having is trying to figure out exactly when to do it. I'm thinking after supper would probably be the best time, because I really don't know if I have enough time in the morning to incorporate weightlifting into my routine, and because I'm really unsure about the timing of eating breakfast and lifting weights. I don't think lifting on an empty stomach is a very good idea, and I don't know how long after breakfast I should wait before lifting. These are the things I'll have to figure out in the next few weeks.

1 comment:

S said...

Good job on the loss. I started seven months ago and after losing 110 pounds myself, I can honestly say you're fighting the good fight. You make some interesting comments in your post- please pardon me for taking the opportunity to blather on about myself.

I lift weights first thing in the morning. It seems to energize me for the entire day. I tried lifting at night but I just couldn't get to sleep for several hours after- making for some very late nights.

I've read that you're supposed to eat within an hour before or after your workout- and either way is fine. After seems to work best for me.

I think that weight loss is all about conditioning-- conditioning your body to adapt to the proper quantities of food and conditioning your mind to create the habits of a healthy lifestyle for the rest of your life.

Best wishes and continued success!