Tuesday, December 18, 2007

One week to go

Tomorrow night I will start the 9th and final week of the Couch-to-5K program. The last two runs went much better than the one from last Thursday -- I was extremely comfortable for about the first fifteen minutes, then laboured some for the last thirteen, but never felt really distressed at any point. I knocked 0.1 mph off my speed on Saturday and felt great, and then I upped my speed above where I was on Thursday for last night's run and still felt great.

So, this week I'll be doing 3 30-minute runs. By Christmas, I should be able to run for five uninterrupted kilometres. At that point, I'll probably sign up for the 5K race on marathon weekend in May, to make sure I don't slack off. My 13-year-old nephew has already agreed to run with me if I sign up.

I'm planning to start swimming over the Christmas holidays, since I'll need to relearn how if I want to do a triathlon. I have a feeling it could take a while to get up to speed -- when I was a kid, I took swimming lessons, but failed orange (the second level) and never went back. (I just couldn't do the back swim.) If the swimming really doesn't really take hold, maybe I'll consider running a couple of duathlons (run/bike/run again) next year as an alternative.

No comments: