Monday, December 03, 2007

Bad day turned good

What a brutal day this was -- we got a major winter storm that dumped over a foot of snow on Ottawa. Most of my co-workers stayed home and worked from there, either because their kids were at home or they just didn't want to go outside. I had to go in, though, because my wife had to go to work herself, and because I can't work from home (can't access the servers I need from home).

Because we wanted to get going before a bunch of idiots got on the road, we decided to leave early. But, since I was a big slowpoke this morning, I ended up not having time to make my lunch, and committed to buying lunch at work. I did this knowing that I was going to end up buying unhealthy food, because, well, that's what I always end up buying at work.

So I bought my bad lunch -- grilled cheese with bacon on whole wheat, fries and a Dr. Pepper. An interesting thing happened, though. By the time I got to the end of it, I'd really wasn't enjoying it at all. I ended up throwing about a quarter of the fries away. For the rest of the afternoon, I wasn't feeling all that terrific.

But then I got an email at ten to three saying that everyone was free to go home, due to the storm. I phoned my wife, and because she still had to work, I told her I was taking the bus home. After waiting about ten minutes past when the bus would normally arrive, though, and having no idea when it would finally get there, I elected to just walk to the intersection where my connecting bus would be, about ten minutes away. The walk made me feel a lot better, and then when I got home, I realized I had enough time before my wife got home to go down to the treadmill and get a workout in.

The plan was to bump my speed up another 0.1 mph from the last workout, to 5.3. I started out doing that, but about five minutes in, I realized that with the combination of the bad lunch and the long walk, there was a chance I might not be able to finish at that speed. So I knocked it down to 5.1 and ran other twenty minutes at that speed without much difficulty. Then my wife came home, we had a nice dinner, and now I'm feeling great.

Well, except for the part where there's two feet of snow on the ground.

No comments: