Thursday, May 11, 2006

And we're off

Actually, I've been going at this for a couple of weeks now, but I haven't been keeping records because of scale issues.

I bought a new digital scale a couple of weeks ago because I'd had my little old rotary-dial Ikea scale for about 10 years now -- Do scales go bad? Can you tell? It's not like it was moldy or anything -- and I wanted to get something a little more precise. THAT scale (the Ikea one) told me I weighed about 283 the last time I stepped on it. And the one at the gym, also an Ikea scale (although a different model), confirmed it. When I stepped on the digital scale, I nearly fainted when I saw it settle on a number starting with 3.

300.6 lbs., to be exact.

Which to believe? My old faithful Ikea scale that's been with me through thick and thin (mostly thick)? Or this new evil scale telling me I've been lied to all these years?

I decided to break the tie this weekend, when I visit my parents. Their scale is doctor's office quality. It'll tell me the truth.

In the meantime, I weighed myself this morning, two weeks after getting that scale. I'm down to 294.2. Just for kicks, I got on the Ikea scale, and it came in at 277. Any way you slice it, I'm down 6 pounds in two weeks. Huzzah!

1 comment:

Chris said...

Thanks!

They used to have a medical scale in the gym I belong to, with the movable weights. I asked about it, and the counterperson told me that too many people were screwing around with it and breaking it, so they just took it out. I really don't think I'll ever understand some people.