Monday, May 29, 2006

Good and bad

90 percent of life is just showing up.
--Woody Allen

I thought of this quote Friday night at the gym. It turned out that, despite having no excuses to skip the gym, I still didn't want to go. I actually didn't think I was going to go, so strong was my apathy. (Can you have strong apathy? Whatever.)

I knew though, that just showing up at the gym would be winning the battle, because once I got to the gym, working out would be easy. So I made up something to overcome my inertia and get me out of the house -- namely, a trip to Athlete's World for a new pair of workout shorts, because one of the pairs I bought in the States was 2X, despite saying 1X on the hanger. (Thankfully, I'm not THAT big.) All the way to the store, I kept thinking, "I'm never getting to the gym."

I bought the shorts -- a really cheap, really nice pair of Adidas shorts -- and left the mall, still thinking I'd never get to the gym.

I drove around aimlessly for a bit. "Not happening."

I turned around and started for the gym. "You'll never make it."

I pulled into the gym parking lot. "You honestly think you're getting out of the car?"

I walked into the gym and completed a nice workout. "Show-off."

The bad news is, I seem to have plantar fasciitis. So it looks like my running regimen is on hold for awhile. I hope to make it to the sports medicine clinic sometime soon to get it looked at, although I don't really know what they can do about it.

No comments: